Our days have become shorter and colder. What better way to warm up than with a fast and easy soup, full of flavour and goodness. This soup can be prepared within 45 minutes. Or, simply make it on a Sunday and freeze portions for a rainy day. I love to serve this soup with a dollop of yogurt and toasted pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato and Apple Soup
Accented with Chipotle and Coconut Milk
- 3 medium yams, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 russet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small to medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 stocks of celery, roughly chopped
- 2 apples, gala-style, roughly chopped (you can leave the skin on)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. coriander
- 2 tsp. chilli powder
- ½ tsp. chipotle powder, or to taste – if you like it spicy, add more!
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 litre chicken or veg stock
- 1 can coconut milk
In a large pot, on medium, saute onions, celery, garlic and apples. Sprinkle ½ a tsp. of salt and pepper. Stir until soft, 10 minutes. Add the spices and toast for a few minutes. Add the stock and the chopped yams and potatoes. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. When the soup boils, bring it down to a simmer. Cook for 40 minutes. Lid is not required. With an immersion blender or a stand up blender, puree the soup until smooth. Add back to the pot and add the coconut milk. Cook for 10 minutes. When ready to serve, add the fresh lemon juice. Enjoy!